The European Federation for Intercultural Learning (EFIL) is recruiting a Communication Coordinator for its Secretariat in Brussels, with additional tasks and responsibilities in the field of partner development, projects and programmes. The Communication Coordinator will report directly to the Secretary-General.
EFIL is the umbrella organisation of all the AFS Organisations in Europe. Its Members are European, volunteer-based associations that organise long- and short-term intercultural stays for young people in a worldwide network.
The Federation is a key player in Europe in the field of intercultural learning. Its main activities focus on further developing this expertise, as well as supporting and developing its Member Organisations by organising training events, programmes and projects, sharing of know-how, fundraising, networking and lobbying. EFIL also focuses on developing AFS structures in countries where there is no current AFS presence. EFIL’s activities often are financially supported by the European institutions.
At the EFIL Secretariat in Brussels, a team of 5 professionals and a variable number of volunteers work in a dynamic, international and multicultural environment. The language of communication is English.
Main tasks and projects:
- COMMUNICATION and MARKETING(40% or 2 days/week)
o Help streamline communication with different target audiences, advise other employees on communication tasks, and help build a positive reputation of EFIL, internally and externally.
o Develop the design and content for a wide range of communication materials, incl. brochures, leaflets, reports (e.g. the EFIL Biennial Report), newsletters (e.g. EFILife news magazine), presentations and videos, templates, branding materials, internal and external publications, in close cooperation with colleagues.
Support other staff with the preparation of papers and presentations for training events, meetings, etc.
o Regularly update EFIL’s website pages and the AFS World Café platform, coordinate EFIL’s activities on social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.) and develop long- and short term social media strategies, develop relationship with media and press and prepare news releases about EFIL when needed.
Additionally, monitor forums, social media sites and press to assess the latest trends in AFS and in the sector overall.
- PARTNER DEVELOPMENT(20% or 1 day/week)
Support EFIL’s Coordinator for Partner Development with the establishment and development of new Partners or representations in countries where there’s no current AFS presence, as well as with the consolidation and further follow-up of new and young Partner Organisations.
- TRAINING, PROJECTS and PROGRAMMES(20% or 1 day/week)
Involvement in preparation, organisation and coordination of training events and large scale projects and programmes in specific periods of the year, including:
– EFIL’s annual European Citizenship Trimester Programme, with focus on the Brussels Camp (4-day event with 300 young people age 15-18 from +20 countries in Europe, closing event of the trimester programme).
– Communication and preparations related to the annual Intercultural Dialogue Day, a volunteer-driven project involving AFS Partner Organisations across Europe.
- OTHER DUTIES(occasionally)
o Involvement in drafting funding proposals to secure the financial sustainability of EFIL and its activities (Erasmus+, European Youth Foundation, etc.);
o Other duties as assigned.
Profile of the Candidate
- Excellent oral and written English language skills; knowledge of standard Microsoft Office software, Design software, Website editing, online analytics tools, Social networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) and social media management.
- Broad vision of the future of communications, marketing, news and media with a strong understanding of the latest trends and technology.
- Leadership and organisational skills including relevant experience with coordination of events and facilitating teams; strong interpersonal skills, service-oriented, able to work independently as well as in team.
- Passionate enthusiasm and commitment to high performance and results.
- General knowledge of and interest in European youth and culture policies; a good understanding of and experience in the sector of volunteer-based, youth-oriented non-governmental and non-profit organisations, preferably exchange focused; familiarity or a history with AFS Intercultural Programmes is a bonus.
- Prepared to live in Brussels or surroundings; prepared to travel regularly, including occasional week-end traveling.
Terms of Contract
- Location: Brussels, Belgium
- Duration of the contract: unlimited
- Working regime: 80% position (4 days or 30 hours/week)
- Gross salary: based on official salary scales PC 329.01-B2b; relevant years of experience are taken into account
- Extra-legal benefits: meal vouchers, transportation allowance, group pension scheme, hospitalisation insurance, home internet subscription
- Annual leave: 20 days
- Suggested starting date: 1 September 2016
- Please send a motivational letter and a resume (CV) to Paul Claes, Secretary-General of EFIL, [email protected]
- Application deadline: Sunday 29 May 2016, midnight (Brussels time)
- Interviews in Brussels: 27/28/29 June 2016 (no cost coverage / no Skype interviews)
- Please note that the selected staff is expected to be available for a three day meeting in Brussels between 7 and 17 July 2016, all costs covered (preparation meeting for ECTP – European Citizenship Trimester Programme, see above)